Tuesday, May 02, 2006

It appears that I am last, though I hope, not least. I found that I enjoyed the research part of this project best. I think I've mentioned before how much I despise technically editing and as a result my grammar and punctuation usage is atrocious. Finding out which characters were real historical figures, where Shelley took her quotes from, and seeing the influence of Shakespeare in some of her phrases was a much more rewarding experience for me. Because this was an online project, I solely mined the Internet for my sources, though, I think in the future a combination of the online text and an actual physical text might be more helpful or at the very least, less painful. I like the idea of online texts, but not as a replacement for physical texts. A fusion of both or a best of both worlds would be an interesting collaboration. Overall, my experience with Perkin Warbeck has been eye-opening and informative. It is a disorienting, yet interesting, experience to be a part of something that is so much larger than the contribution you've put in (though that contribution is significant) and something that will continue on, long after you've left it. It is really the essence of good literature, something that carries on and on and on, even after it has been edited and read and re-read, it has its own life.

No comments: