Saturday, February 25, 2006

OK...so at first, reading online didn't seem so bad. I didn't have to go out and buy a $38.00 book just to destroy it with my marking pen. I didn't have to carry the book wherever I went with false hopes of sitting down on a random campus bench to read it. But then I realized how long The Fortunes of Perkin Warbeck was. And then I cringed. For the past week, I've spent more time at my computer than I have in the last two semesters combined. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a college student who sits on his laptop day by day, talking to long lost friends online. You'll only find me here writing a term paper, shooting an e-mail, or (occasionally) writing a blog. But reading an entire 19th-century novel on my computer screen has been one of the hardest tasks I've ever attempted to complete. And I say "attempt" because I have not finished the challenge yet.

Dr. W-G is right: I've never read a book for an English project without a pen and/or highlighter in hand. I don't have the patience to write my notes in a Word document. So I'm forcing myself to remember almost everything I read. Not such a good idea.

That being said, I do find it a bit uplifting to know I can make a dent on this project with my own thoughts and formatting. To know that thousands around the world have access to MY work is pretty cool.

So, for now, I'll keep trodding through this "wonderful" technical breakthrough. Hopefully by the next blog, I'll have MORE positive things to say.

Until then....

Aaron

No comments: